In my former post I wrote about what is the alternative therapy and why people are choosing these therapies. Trying a new therapy to overcome from a condition or disease is not a bad idea but you need to have a right knowledge about which type of Complimentary or alternative therapy will be good & suitable for a person. here are numerous types of Alternative therapies across the world. Every therapy have its marvellous effects to cure the disease. In this post we’ll checkout almost 26 most popular alternative therapies and how these therapies work to make a person fit, happy & healthy.
Acupressure- An age old holistic therapy
Acupressure is the first one in the 26 most popular alternative therapies. It is an ancient type of therapy which involves applying pressure to certain points around the body so as to stimulate the body’s own healing processes and produce about positive health benefits. In this, Alternative Therapists or Practitioners use their hands, elbows, or feet to apply pressure to specific points along the body’s “meridians.”
According to this theory behind acupressure, meridians are channels that carry life energy (qi or ch’i) throughout the body. The reasoning holds that illness can occur when one amongst these meridians is blocked or out of balance. The pressure is generally applied with the fingers, and therefore the process is so simple to learn, You can use it on yourself, or have a licensed practitioner treat you for even greater health benefits. Acupressure is believed to alleviate blockages so energy can flow freely again, restoring wellness. More research is required , but a couple of studies have found positive results.
- Boosts the immune system.
- Relieves stress.
- Relieves headaches.
- Alleviates other aches and pains around the body.
- Increases circulation of blood.
Though reading about this practice of traditional Chinese medicine may immediately bring sharp needles to mind, the term actually describes stimulating specific points on the body. So our second therapy in the row of 26 most popular alternative therapies is- Acupuncture.
Acupuncture is a kind of traditional Chinese Medicinal therapy associated with acupressure within the sense that it focuses on stimulating certain healing points around the body, called acupoints. These points address stimulate the body’s own healing mechanisms. Instead of using the fingers to stimulate these areas, acupuncture involves the insertion of very tiny needles into the topmost layers of the skin and muscle by a registered acupuncture practitioner.
- Clears energy blockages in the body.
- Relieves sore, spasming muscles.
- Alleviates stress.
- Aids better, deeper sleep.
- Strengthens the immune system.
Alexander Technique- An another type of holistic medicine
The Alexander Technique is a physical method of retraining the body to “unlearn” negative physical habits and patterns of movement so as to permit the body to maneuver more freely and naturally. The technique can be learned from an accredited teacher, by attending an in-person course, or it are often self-studied. Basically, it allows you to spot tension patterns that are affecting your posture and therefore the means to correct them. This complimentary therapy seems popular with musicians who often hold a tense posture for extended periods of time.
- Allows you to move more freely and comfortably.
- Relieves stress and tension within the body.
- Helps alleviate pain from repetitive strain injury or carpal tunnel syndrome.
- Alleviates backache, and pain related to a stiff neck and shoulders.
- Can help makes sitting at a computer for long periods of your time easier.
- Helps you feel more well-off in your own body.
This therapy is a fragrant way of healing when we talk about the 26 most popular alternative therapies across the world.
Aromatherapy uses essential oils (oils extracted from plants) for healing. Some people find that the smell (aroma) of particular oils helps them to relax, sleep better, relieve pain and improve low mood. for instance , when used appropriately lavender and camomile essential oils are thought to be relaxing and assist you sleep.
The oils can be inhaled by using a diffuser, or diluted in a carrier oil and massaged into the skin. Some are accustomed treat inflammation or infections while others are accustomed promote relaxation and calm. Scents from essential oils can be diffused in a traditional oil burner with a candle or using a more modern aromatherapy diffuser (which often has the additional advantage of helping to humidify the air in a very room.)
Benefits:- (these are dependent on the type of aroma/scent used):
- Induces sleep.
- Relieves stress.
- Alleviates headaches.
- Aids digestion.
- Strengthens the immune system.
- Helps to treat a large range of common ailments.
Ayurvedic Medicine- The natural medicine
Also referred to as Ayurveda, this modality originated in India and has been around for thousands of years. Practitioners use a range of techniques, including herbs, massage, and specialized diets, with the intent of balancing the body, mind, and spirit to promote overall wellness.
- Focuses on preventing disease, instead of simply curing it.
- Easy to include many aspects of Ayurveda into your daily routine.
- Lowers blood pressure level.
- Alleviates stress.
- Increases fertility and libido.
The Bowen technique (named after Thomas Bowen who developed the therapy) is a quite contact therapy, meaning the practitioner does touch you, but it’s a really light touch which may be done through light clothing. They use very gentle rolling motions with pauses in between. It’s mainly used for physical problems, but some people find it reduces feelings of depression, anxiety and stress.
- Gives relaxation by instantly soothing the parasympathetic nervous system.
- Helps in pain relief.
- Improves posture.
- Reduces muscular/joint restriction.
- This therapy supports to release any tension and provide a balance through working directly upon fascia..
- Rebalances you & promotes sleep.
Chiropractic work is widely accepted within the medical profession , and thus qualifies more as a “complementary” medicine than an alternative. Chiropractic involves the treatment of certain neuromuscular conditions and pain through the physical manipulation and adjustment of the spine. Chiropractic sessions are always performed by a licensed and trained chiropractor, who will identify the foundation reason behind one’s pain, and prescribe a course of treatments to assist alleviate it and stop further pain within the future.
The most common procedure performed by chiropractors is spinal manipulation, aka an “adjustment,” which involves applying controlled force (typically the chiropractor’s hands) to joints that became hypomobile.
Chiropractic adjustments are intended to revive mobility and loosen the muscles, allowing tissues to heal and therefore the pain to resolve. Studies generally affirm its efficacy, with research suggesting it can improve conditions like neck pain or low back pain.
- Alleviates back and neck pain.
- Reduces muscle soreness.
- Treats headaches.
- Treats mild scoliosis (curvature of the spine).
- Helps treat sport injuries.
- Helps improve posture.
Colour therapy, also called chromotherapy, is a method of treating ailments by using colors. Chromotherapy is basically the use of the color spectrum , or color light, to heal the physical, mental, and spiritual energy imbalance that tends to steer to disease. it’s one amongst the foremost holistic and easy methods to cure illness. This healing modality doesn’t require you to consume anything, nor does it require putting anything on your body like an ointment. You just lay or sit under the required color. Due to it’s such easiness; this therapy holds it’s place in my list of 26 most popular alternative therapies.
Colour therapy is a non-invasive and holistic treatment that brings balance and health to your mind and body. The vibrations of the colour in color therapy class improve your mood and overall health. Colors are all vibratory. Each of the colour photons has its own wavelength and frequency. The body recognizes these waveforms and responds to them. Each color charges our cells a particular way as a result. Each color of the spectrum encompasses a different effect on the mind, body, and emotions. In our body, the Chakra system consists of seven energy centers within the physical body . Each of the seven center points contains energy that regulates the body’s functions, from organs, brain, lungs, stomach, so forth, to the immune system, metabolism, and emotions. Chromotherapy and chakras go hand in hand because each chakra governs a particular color.
Colour therapy is a complementary therapy and not an alternate to medical aid . The results of the therapy vary from person to person.
Benefits:- (these are dependent on the type of lights/color is used):
- Helps in balancing physical, mental and spiritual energy imbalance.
- Reduces swelling and stiffness.
- Increases workouts and overall strength.
- Reduces stress.
- Helps in Chakra balancing.
- Increases awareness and self-control.
- Helps with sleep problems.
- Brings spiritual insights and renewal.
Crystal healing, also sometimes mentioned as gemstone treatment or crystal therapy, involves the utilization of special crystals to treat different health concerns. It’s based on the principle that certain natural gemstones and crystals each have their own effects on the energy fields of the body.
Crystals are either worn as jewellery, carried by the person in their pockets or bags, or placed strategically around the home or workplace where their healing energies can have the best benefit.
- Depending on the sort used, crystals can treat a variety of emotional concerns.
- Promotes a relaxed and cantered mind.
- Crystals don’t lose their energy over time.
- Easy to use by anyone.
Electromagnetic therapy is a kind of treatment that revolves round the premise that each one functions within the body are controlled by electromagnetic waves, and that a disturbance within the frequency of those electromagnetic waves is what causes disease. The therapy itself involves the utilization of electromagnets by a practitioner to rebalance the currents within the body and help treat a variety of disorders.
- Aids relaxation.
- Rebalances imbalances within the body’s energy field.
Homeopathy involves using extremely diluted (watered down) natural substances to treat physical and psychological state problems. Homeopaths believe that the more a substance is diluted, the more effective it’ll be – and therefore the less likely it’ll be to cause any unwanted side effects.
Some people find that trying homeopathic remedies for stress, anxiety, and depression does make them feel better.
However, most doctors are skeptical about homeopathy. The NHS says that the evidence shows homeopathy works no better than a placebo (a sugar pill). It also cautions that choosing homeopathy as your main treatment may mean you do not choose other options, which could work better.
- Homeopathy treatment is holistic and individualistic.
- It is safe, gentle and effective.
- It can be used by everyone.
- It’s remedies are non-addictive with no harmful side-effects.
The another one in this row of 26 most popular alternative therapies is Hypnotherapy.
Hypnosis involves putting you in a very state of deep relaxation to access subconscious beliefs, thoughts, and memories which can affect the way you act. It’s a type of psychotherapy during which the patient is firstly put into a state of hypnosis, then on a subconscious level, encouraged by the hypnotherapy practitioner to alter their subconscious and build new thoughts, feelings, and patterns of behavior.
- Aids relaxation.
- Helps with acute or chronic pain management.
- Helps manage or eliminate addictions (including drugs and alcohol).
- Can help treat eating disorders.
Massage uses touch during a sensitive and respectful way, taking account of physical symptoms, wellbeing, and your lifestyle. There are a lot of differing types of massage therapy, like Shiatsu, Indian head massage, and aromatherapy massage.
- Relieve anxiety.
- Helps in sleeping disorder like- Insomnia.
- Helps in fighting fatigue.
- Boost up your focus level.
- Improves blood circulation in your body.
- Reduce post-surgery and post-injury swelling.
There are various different schools of mediation, but all aim to quieten your mind and put you into a state of calm, stillness, and rest. Some forms of meditation might also involve mindfulness.
While the evidence is mixed on whether meditation is effective at treating mental state problems, many of us do find it a helpful way of relaxing and managing feelings of stress and anxiety.
There are many DVDs, apps, and free online videos that may teach you meditation exercises.
Benefits:- ( includes both physical and mental level benefits of meditation)
- Lowers high blood pressure.
- Lowers the amount of blood lactate, reducing anxiety attacks.
- Decreases any tension-related pain, like tension headaches, ulcers, insomnia, muscle, and joint problems.
- Improves the immune system.
- Increases the energy state , as you gain an inner source of energy.
- Emotional stability improves.
- Creativity increases.
- Happiness increases.
- Intuition develops.
- Gain clarity and peace of mind.
Mindfulness involves focusing your attention on what’s happening within the present moment. It aims to assist you become more attentive to your thoughts and feelings, so you’ll be able to choose the way to react to them calmly.
Many people find mindfulness helpful for managing negative thoughts and feelings of stress.
- It decreases stress.
- Mindfulness helps in enhancing ability to deal with illness.
- It Improves focus And efficiency.
- Mindfulness hardwires your brain to be more calm and less reactive.
- It improves sleep.
- It help us to feel more happy & more fulfilled.
- It helps to improve the quality of our relationships.
- Mindfulness helps in slowing down the ageing process.
- Mindfulness makes you less biased and more objective.
- It helps to ease anxiety and depression.
Nutritional healing involves consuming a particular diet comprised of natural foods, supplements and herbs so as to treat certain ailments and disorders. Nutritional healing places a robust specialize in the natural benefits of vegetables, fruits (usually organic and non-genetically modified), and may also involve abstinence from eating certain varieties of foods that are seen to be detrimental to an individual’s health.
- Strengthens the immune system.
- Helps with certain nutritional deficiencies.
- Can be used very safely in conjunction with more “mainstream” medicines and therapies.
Pranic healing is a form of energy healing developed by Grand Master Choa Kok Sui and aims to re-balance the flow of energy within the body. Pranic practitioners don’t touch the subject but instead concentrate on drawing energy from their surroundings and channelling it through the subject’s body so as to re-establish balance in your body’s energy.
- Activates your body’s own self-repair system.
- Increases energy and stamina.
- It heals common colds and flu.
- Reduces stress.
- Improves self-esteem.
- Helps tackle other mental problems like depression or addiction.
Reflexology is another alternative healing therapy which comes amongst the 26 most popular alternative therapies.
It relies on the concept that different points on your feet, hands, face, and ears are linked to other parts of your body through your nervous system. During a typical session, a reflexologist will use their hands to apply gentle pressure to those points. Reflexology may be performed by a trained practitioner during a reflexology session, or special reflexology products (such as shoes, for example) may be purchased for everyday use.
People round the world use this therapy to enrich conventional treatments for conditions including anxiety, cancer, diabetes, kidney function, and asthma.
- Stimulates nerve function.
- Relaxes and relieves stress.
- Relieves tired and tense feet and ankles.
- Eases anxiety and stress.
- Is beneficial for babies and little children also.
- Improve mood and assist you to sleep.
Reiki is a traditional Japanese energy healing therapy that based on the concept that a “life force” energy flows through everyone’s body. Consistent with this philosophy, sickness and stress are indications that vital force energy is low, while energy, health, and happiness signify a powerful vital force . During a Reiki session, a practitioner seeks to transfer life energy to the client by placing their hands lightly on the client’s body or a small distance faraway from the body. Reiki may also be performed long-distance.
The purpose is to promote relaxation, speed healing, reduce pain, and usually improve the client’s well-being.
- Improves mental clarity and wellbeing.
- Helps to alleviate physical pain within the limbs, muscles, or joints.
- Aids sleep and relaxation.
- Stimulates the immune system.
- Relieves pain from headaches and migraines.
- Reduces stress.
Siddha medicine is a kind of medicinal practice which originated in Southern India. Its methods and theories are almost like those of Ayurveda and focuses on the importance of the body’s three humours being in balance, these being vatha, pitta and kapha. Siddha promotes the balance of the body through treatments including dietary therapy, herbs and minerals, bloodletting, yoga, suction therapy, and therefore the application of varied ointments.
- Helps restore balance and health to the body.
- Places emphasis on food as medicine, promoting healthy eating practices.
Sound therapy is a therapy specifically focused round the treatment of tinnitus and other ear and hearing-related concerns. It uses a special kind of filtered music that the patient listens to in their own time so as to enhance the performance of the brain by activating new neuronal connections. Music is played at low volume and is meant to be background noise because the individual goes about their day-to-day activities.
- Helps relieve tinnitus (persistent ringing within the ears).
- Aids deep sleep.
- Alleviates stress.
- Improves hearing abilities.
- Promotes better concentration, learning, and overall brain function.
Traditional Chinese medicine (TCM)
Traditional Chinese Medicine is a blanket term that refers to a large range of medicinal practices that have been utilised for thousands of years in China, additionally the practices which still be widely in use today. It encompasses therapies including herbal medicine, tuina (a form of massage), acupuncture, and dietary guidance in order to treat certain ailments, health concerns, and psychological issues. It has been the main medical system utilized in China for more than 2000 years.
Though it’s an ancient therapy but it has wider array of sub therapies which all make it a unique therapy and one of 26 most popular alternative therapies in current time as well.
- Complements other modern types of medicine well.
- Effective against an enormous range of ailments and health concerns.
- Very few side effects.
Visualisation, also sometimes called guided image therapy, is a kind of self-therapy which involves the individual imagining a particular outcome to a situation, an object, or an action. It has been shown to be effective in changing behavior by triggering emotional and psychological changes as if the imagined outcome is really occurring. Visualisation may be guided by taking note of an audio track or the voice of a trained therapist, and may even be done without any guide.
- Can help treat addictions.
- Eases stress and anxiety.
- Can help one make difficult decisions more easily.
- Helps stop bad habits.
- Helps treat chronic pain.
Western herbal medicine
These are often used to treat health problems in a very similar manner to prescription medications, but the herbal practitioner will usually take a holistic, instead of an illness-focused, approach.
- It helps in such as improvement or general support of digestive, respiratory, circulatory, immune, endocrine, and nervous system processes.
- It purportedly remove waste and toxins from bodily cells.
- Promote healing of the skin.
Water Cure (therapy)
One of the simplest therapy amongst the 26 most popular alternative therapies is Water therapy. Water cure is that the simple procedure of drinking 1 to 1.5 liters of water quickly upon waking. it’s based on the concept that a lot of people are simply dehydrated, instead of affected by an actual illness or disorder, and that water can be an easy cure.
- Flushes the gastrointestinal system.
- Improves hydration levels in the body.
- Aids in digestion and bowel movements.
Yoga is a thousand-year-old type of spiritual and physical practice which involves various sets of postures, stretches, visualisations, and breathing exercises performed in a sequence. There are many various kinds of yoga, each with their own theories, benefits, and postures (asanas). Common variations include hatha yoga, vinyasa yoga, ashtanga yoga, and power yoga and etc. Many studies suggest that yoga may be helpful in reducing symptoms of depression and anxiety.
It’s a good idea to do a minimum of a number of classes with an expert instructor (in a group or individually) before trying it by yourself because doing the poses incorrectly can cause injuries.
But once you feel safe and assured , there are many books, DVDs, and free online resources available to guide you on more cheaply.
- Increases body flexibility.
- Gently strengthens the muscles.
- Promotes a more calm and centered mind.
- Realigned joints and muscles.
- Alleviates stress and anxiety.
- Aids sleep.
The field of alternative medicine science is vast. If it looks like new therapies and studies are cropping up all the time, it’s because they are.
It’s an evolving area and more research in all of those therapies is required . That said, integrating a couple of those into your routine may have solid benefits to your health. There’s a reason a number of these alternative treatments have been around for thousands of years, after all.
The bottom line is this: We believe in doing what works, as long as you’ve consulted with a doctor or practitioner you’ll be able to believe . You may need a good combination of Western medicine and complementary therapies to heal.
As always, do your research and listen to your body — nobody knows it better than you do.